Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Ainsley Turns One

A year ago today, I became Aunt Cait for the first time. It doesn't seem possible it's already been a year since I was sitting in a waiting room awaiting the arrival of my best friend's little girl.

Usually in a waiting room, it's packed with the parents and siblings of the soon-to-be-parents. It was just me, myself, and I though. Not that others didn't want to be there. It was the first grandchild on both sides. But a trip to Phoenix from Chicago and Eldon in the middle of March wasn't possible for the new grandparents-to-be. I was just lucky enough to be on Spring Break, and that Bart and Emily wanted me there. 

Last year was made extra special, because I got to be the first person to hold Ainsley after her parents. 

Sunday, in Idaho, we celebrated her first birthday. Emily and I worked all evening Saturday, after I arrived in Idaho, and all day Sunday until party time getting decorations and food finished. (First birthday parties take a lot of work!)

Party time finally came. Bart distracted people in the living room (he's really good at talking just for the sake of talking) while Emily and I quickly finished up in the kitchen. 

The party was a huge success. The kids played in the backyard. The adults all mingled in the living room. Feeling slightly out of place, I enjoyed being photographer and playing with the little kids. Eventually people caught on that I was Emily's "Spring Break Friend" and not someone who had become really good friends with the Shaws in the 10 short months they'd lived in Boise. (After four Sprig Breaks in 3 different states, I've become used to people referring to me as the Spring Break friend Emily has known her whole life.)

The party ended. Ainsley loved her cake and opening presents. She mostly loved when everyone left her house so she could play with all of her new toys with her mommy, daddy, and Aunt Caitlin.

Today we continue celebrating this precious little girl on her actual first birthday. 








No comments:

Post a Comment