Saturday, March 10, 2018

Reading Goals and Backflips

I have a confession.

I don't like reading.

As a teacher, I feel as though I should and hate admitting it, but I don't.

When I was in school, I would do anything to avoid reading during silent reading time. Luckily, I was quiet. Since I was a good kid, who followed the rules, I perfected sitting quietly, pretending to read while turning pages in my book for 20-30 minutes. I have to say, I never got caught!

It's not like I never read. I just read when I felt like it and faked it when I didn't. Also, because I was a good kid, I always made sure to make my A.R. Goal, even if that meant I squeaked by getting it the last day of the quarter. (I know... what a great role model for my students!)

However, I ultimately think it has made me a better teacher. I can relate to the students who hate reading. I can catch the students who are fake reading. More importantly, I can figure out ways to motivate those students. (Also, I do find ways to motivate myself to read now. Probably not as often as I should, but I do read.)

Monday as I conferenced with the students who didn't have their A.R. Goals yet, I knew there was one in particular student who was going to struggle. (Not because he's a low reader or struggles with reading. Reading just isn't his thing.) He was reading Hunger Games, was only about 1/4 of the way through the book, and only had 45% of his A.R. Goal. (That was a teacher fail moment, because I should have noticed this before Monday!)

I also knew if he could finish Hunger Games and pass the A.R. test, he would surpass his goal. So, I dug deep into the archives of my memory to think of how my teachers motivated me and what I could do to motivate him.

First, I announced to the class if everyone reached their goal I would buy donuts next week. This perked up all of their ears as well as intrigued them to know which students weren't there yet.

Next, I talked with the one student who needed the most motivation. I thought back to the time in 3rd grade when my teacher bribed me to make my A.R. Goal. She knew I had just started gymnastics, so we struck a deal. If I made my goal, she would do a cartwheel. Eighteen years later, I made a deal. If my student made his A.R. Goal, I would do a back handspring. He seemed halfway interested.

Fast forward to Wednesday morning... I walk in to class after giving high fives in the hallway. My class is 100% silent. If a student started to talk, the others quickly shushed them. I heard whispers of students saying they were being quiet to help *Fred focus on reading to make his goal.

My heart burst with pride and joy to see my entire class rally behind one student. Whether it was because they wanted him to make his goal or because they wanted donuts, I was still proud.

I knew Fred had read at home every night that week. He updated me every morning with how many pages he'd read the day before. At the end of the day Thursday he had 80ish pages to go. I told him I was going to wear my stretchy jeans Friday, because I believed in him.

Friday morning he proudly came to school with 2 chapters left. Once again, my homeroom was silent so Fred could finish reading. I caught him in the hall while he was in Science class. When he saw me, he raised his hands in the air and smiled really big. I knew what that meant so I raised my hands, smiled, and jumped up and down.

While the kids were at recess, I went behind the school to practice a few back handsprings. (I challenge myself to do this once a year, so I can say I'm 26 *fill-in whatever my age at the time* and can still do a back handspring.)

When recess ended, my homeroom knew why I was outside, so they gathered near the picnic tables for a front row seat. I made sure Fred had the very front seat while Mrs. Cox made sure the rest of our pod knew what was going on. My class started chanting and off I went. It was a fun bonding moment with my kids.

I had two very proud moments during the day.

One was seeing how hard Fred worked to reach his goal. I knew through conversations with his mom it had been very much a team effort at home, too. I appreciate that he has parents who reinforce learning at school and home.

The second proud moment came after recess. Fred still needed to ring the bell outside of the library signifying he had made his goal. Since it was a shortened schedule, we went directly from recess to social so I told him we would do it then.

As our class packed up their belongings before heading to social, they asked if they could stand in the hall while Fred rang the bell so they could cheer for him.

Oh, be still, my teacher heart. Yes, by all means, scream as loud as you can.

If anyone wondered why there was excessive bell ringing and screaming during social Friday, sorry, not sorry, that was my darling homeroom, celebrating a hard fought battle with one of their classmates.

Monday my class will be scarfing down donuts, and I might be confessing to them that I don't particularly enjoy reading. However, I'll also be sure to tell them about when I was in 3rd grade and my teacher inspired me to read.

*Fred's name has been changed for privacy purposes. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I wondered what all that cheering was about!!!! I am so glad that Fred has you for his teacher. I have tears of joy in my eyes as I read this for not only Fred, but for you! Thank you for motivating this child even though you don't care for reading yourself. It takes a lot to suit up for something you don't care for. I think this deserves a bow! When I see you, you'll know why I'm bowing!! Bless you, Miss Bever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be expecting a bow tomorrow while we're in library! Hehe... You're welcome, and thank you as well. I know reading is important and will always cheer on my students to encourage them to read. From personal experience, I know if they find the right book they'll love it! I am proud to say this is the 2nd quarter in a row my entire homeroom has met their goals. My students will never know how so very proud of them I am.

      Delete