Saturday, March 3, 2018

Every Grandma, In-law, and Ex-Girlfriend

My hometown is a small town in mid-Missouri. Eldon, MO, to be exact. The population sign reads differently depending on which side of town you enter, but it's somewhere between 4,600-4,900. It's about 30 miles south of Jefferson City and 15 miles north of the Lake of the Ozarks. Sometime in the 70's HWY 54 by-passed Eldon, so chances are if you've ever been to Jeff you've passed by without noticing. (Next time, I highly recommend you take the time to stop and eat at the Cree Mee. Get a footlong chili cheese dog and a marshmallow Pepsi. Your tastebuds won't regret it.)


Growing up my classmates and I could fully relate to Miranda Lambert's song Famous in a Small Town. The first two lines of her chorus, "Every last one, route one, rural heart's got a story to tell. Every grandma, in-law, ex-girlfriend maybe knows it just a little too well" ring oh so true in Eldon. Although, I could add to the list, because my mom worked at school, so it would include an entire school district of employees. Plus, the 153 students I graduated with, surprisingly, most of whom I started school with in Kindergarten. Luckily, any news that ever reached my parents before I had the chance to tell them was usually some award I was receiving. I didn't stand a chance of getting to surprise them with anything. I didn't mind though. I knew I had a great community of people around me.

The part of Miranda's song I didn't realize was true for me growing up was the last line of the chorus, "Everybody dies famous in a small town." Sure I was in Band, FFA, 4-H, FBLA, and a cheerleader, so my face showed up in the Eldon Advertiser frequently. But I assumed, aside from my mom, dad, and grandmas, that everyone else's grandmas, in-laws, and ex-girlfriends took no notice. It wasn't until college, and even after college, I learned my assumption was totally wrong.


5 comments:

  1. Marshmellow pepsi and a footlong, did that last year on my way through and I agree, you won't regret it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marshmallow pepsi is now on my list of things to do! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I definitely want to try this delicious meal. I grew up in a small town that I moved to in 4th grade. I graduated with 35 people, and I get small town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please tell more about this marshmallow pepsi....I don't understand. Is there such a thing as marshmallow Dr. Pepper?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate to being raised in a small town and living in a smaller town than the one I was raised in the last 15 years! I did live in the huge metropolis of Pittsburg for about 8 years and am glad to be back in the small town that neighbors the metropolis!! ha ha My mom taught high school so there was no skipping class or doing anything rebellish for me. I was expected to fly right and I did most of the time, but peer pressure somethings prevailed!! There were a few things we got by with, but not very many because word of mouth travels fast!! I will definitely mark Eldon on the list to stop and eat at this famous place you speaketh of!!

    ReplyDelete