Friday, March 9, 2018

Part Three: The Rainbow

My snow day had resulted in completely unexpected chaos, however, all I felt was blessed. God had indeed provided me with many rainbows throughout the flood as a reminder of His faithfulness. People kept apologizing that I had to go through such an event. I usually responded with one of the following:
  1. We had a snow day. I can't imagine the damage that would have been done had I not been at home as soon as the flood began. Therefore, when we are still in school on May 23rd, I will not complain and I will be thankful. (However, May 24th, I did NOT wish for that extra day and I will be wishing we were already on summer vacation.)
  2. God sent me an army of angels to help out. I had multiple people offer their place for me to stay until my apartment was ready. (I stayed with Bri and her husband in Carthage.) At the drop of a hat, my dad took off work, drove 3 hours, helped me for 4, drove back 3 hours, and was back at work the next morning. Plus, many others.
  3. My landlord and the owner of my apartment were amazing. I've heard horror stories about landlords not taking care of their tenants during disasters. Mine texted me everyday with updates until I moved back in the following Wednesday. The very first thing the owner asked me when he arrived was if I had renters insurance. (I think he was pleasantly surprised I did.) As soon as I confirmed, he instantly said, we'll pay your deductible. Hallelujah! Is this real life? 
  4. The detailed description that may have seemed pointless about spending 3 hours the day before looking for a new bed frame and my mattress being in the floor... I would have been crushed if Jodi's antique bed was still at my apartment and had water damage, but it wasn't. Also, I had actually ordered a bed 6 weeks earlier that I was frustrated never came. In hindsight, praise Jesus! It was just a very old mattress that got ruined. Nothing antique, nothing brand new.
  5. I got new carpet! Whoot! Whoot! The old carpet wasn't gross and I learned it was only a couple years old. But now I'm the ONLY person who has ever lived on my carpet.
  6. The day before the flood, Fonda had sent me a snap of The Andy Griffith Show. In our texts the day of the flood, I told her I was missing the simplicity of Mayberry. The night of the flood my insurance adjuster left a voicemail... his name? Eric MAYBERRY! Okay, God, You have a twisted sense of humor, but I hear ya loud and clear!
  7. The irony of my best friend waking me up that morning to ask if I had renters insurance was not lost on me. It was one of the first things I reminded her of when she arrived at the scene of the crime.
My mom got this wall hanging for me last summer.
It had been replaced with winter decor and sat in
the floor of my closet. Jodi rescued it, and quickly
showed it to me as a reminder that "this too
shall pass."
Yes, I was inconvenienced that day as were several other people on my behalf. Yes, a few things were ruined beyond repair, but nothing irreplaceable. Yes, all 4 of my high school yearbooks have water stains and wrinkles within their pages, otherwise known as containing new/more memories than they did before. Yes, living in Carthage out of a suitcase for a week got old, but I had a comfortable place to stay with many backups. Yes, I wish the flood had never happened and I had gotten to enjoy my pancake that morning while watching Live with Kelly and Ryan.

However, two by two my loved ones showed up and reminded me of how loved I am. Two by two, the blessings poured into my apartment through very personalized and unique forms. By the end of the day God showed me a very full, double rainbow that I so desperately needed from Him.

After school this past Monday as I was struggling to decide what to blog this week, I checked my mail. It was a letter from the owner of my apartment reminding me to send him an invoice of my insurance claim so he could reimburse my deductible.(Ironically, I think our mail crossed paths, because I'd sent it last week.) I was once again impressed, because he could have "conveniently forgot" about paying me back. I took it as a sign from God to precede with a blog I had already been considering. I had put it off afraid most people would find it long and insignificant. One day when my memories fade, I think I'll be glad I made note of all the blessings and humor God sent me that day.

*If you ever know of anyone looking for an apartment, I highly recommend the Village at Wingfield Apartments and Duplexes. This is not a paid advertisement, just a very happy and satisfied tenant.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, thank goodness you were home when it happened!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful that you had all the angels around that you did. Living far away from home and not having ties like you would have there makes times like these very scary. Your apartment manager seems like a rare jewel and for that I am thankful as well. I wish you would have gotten to enjoy that pancake, but you had many blessings come from a sour situation. Stay positive and reap the rewards!!

    ReplyDelete