Monday, March 26, 2018

Part Four: RIP Jack

Since I've already written about my apartment flooding, I figure I might as well tell the last (to my knowledge) ironic part of the story. Plus, Cardinals baseball season starts this week, so prepare for several Cardinals posts!

Sometime during the chaos when water was still overtaking my apartment, my dad called to see how things were going. He also asked, knowing the water started in my spare bedroom, how my St. Louis Cardinal bobbleheads were.

Sidenote:

My family goes to a lot of St. Louis Cardinals games. I think it's been going on 6 years now that we almost go exclusively to games with bobblehead giveaways. My spare bedroom has a travel theme, most notably a St. Louis Cardinals theme. Therefore, ALL of my bobbleheads I've collected the past 5 years are dispersed around the room. Also, I'm getting a new bobblehead April 7th, at my first Cardinals game of the 2018 season!

Back to the original story:

At the time, my dad didn't realize water wasn't really coming through the ceiling. So I assured him all my Cardinal boys were safe and sound. I found it quite humorous, my bobbleheads were the ONLY thing he specifically asked about that day. (You see where I get my priorities from!)

The weekend after I got to move back into my apartment, my parents came down to help me clean, redecorate, and replace lost items. My dad and I strategically placed my bobbleheads around the room. We did our best to group them with other players/managers/announcers from their decade of play.

Late one night, approximately two weeks later, I went in my spare room and caught a glimpse of a disaster. A shelf I had multiple bobbleheads on was now in the floor. To keep from crying, I called my mom. (Yes, on a school night for both of us, plus 11 o'clock at night, but this was urgent!)

As I talked to her, I nervously uncovered the rubble. I knew without a doubt at least one bobblehead was broken, based off of the detached head in the corner. I moved the glass soda bottle, it was fine. Gibby, Lou, Harry Carey, Whitey, and Ozzie were all fine! When I found the body of the beheaded Jack Buck, I started laughing uncontrollably.

The beheaded Jack Buck.
He's since been fixed good as new!
Truth be told, I had been fighting back laughter for quite some time. The thought had entered by mind of the irony of the current situation. The first thing my dad asked about during the flood were my bobbleheads. They survived the flood, yet they couldn't survive a normal Tuesday.

When I told my mom why I was laughing, she began laughing along with me. She had wanted to nearly the entire time, for the same reasons I had, but didn't want to offend me.

After rummaging through all of the debris,
I was left bewildered. My red shelf had a metal bar that ran across the bottom. When it fell, I could tell the metal bar landed on the corner of my printer (my printer had died in the flood and I hadn't disposed of it yet), because the bar was now bent. Two of the shelves were broken in half as well.

Once again, I was left feeling very thankful. The shelf can be replaced fairly easily with a new one. However, the bobbleheads, glass soda bottle, and other few knickknacks I had on the shelf would have been harder to replace. I'm still puzzled as to how the metal and wood bent, yet the ceramic and glass objects were unharmed. My dad and I concluded with God was proving where His team loyalty lies, that He is indeed a St. Louis Cardinals fan.



No comments:

Post a Comment