Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Here Goes Nothin'

Writing. I am starting to understand how my students feel when I tell them to free write. They often shift in their chair, stare at their paper, and twirl their pencil around their fingers, while I walk around reminding them to just write something. Now I feel as though the tables have turned. It's my turn to do the writing. My mind is blank. I'm staring at a computer screen. If I had a pencil in my hand, I would be twirling it around my fingers.

However, if I'm honest, my mind isn't completely blank. I have plenty of thoughts spinning around in my head. I have past stories to tell, from my mere 25 years of life, as well as new stories that happen every day. It is more out of fear which causes me to not want to write. If there is one phrase to summarize my life, I think credit would be given to Theodore Roosevelt for saying, "Comparison is the thief of joy." I all too easily compare myself to others. Am I smart enough? Am I talented enough? Am I pretty enough? Am I good enough? Am I... enough? All of my doubts and insecurities creep into every thought spinning around in my brain. Inwardly, my normal joyful and optimistic personality is crushed into a million pieces, while outwardly I try to put on persona of confidence.

Writing. It forces me to be open with people. It makes me come out of my shell and allow people to see a side of me I typically save for my close, inner circle of friends and family. I have built a trust in them, so I feel comfortable showing them my quirky personality. They don't deflate my joy, because I know they won't judge me. They won't make me feel stupid, untalented, ugly, or unworthy. But, YOU, whoever is reading my "Slice of Life," I might not know so well. YOU might judge me. YOU might steal my joy.

Most days I have to remind myself I am enough. God created me to be unique. He made me smart enough, talented enough, pretty enough, and good enough to accomplish whatever it is He has planned for me. I just have to be brave enough to try new things, because sometimes in life we have to push ourselves outside of our comfort zones and dare to do the things that intimidate us.

So, here goes nothin'.

For a month, my pen (so to speak) will be hitting the paper. I will choose to let God control my thoughts when comparison creeps in to take away my joy. In the end, I might just become more understanding of my students when their minds go blank while writing. Because, for a month, their teacher will shift uncomfortably in her chair, stare at her computer screen, and wish she had a pencil to be twirling around her fingers.

8 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see what your pen will say in this month. I completely understand the inward thoughts that spin through your head when publishing something for others to see. I hope I can follow the lead of others and God on what to write this month also.

    Great First Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you are off to a great start! Well said! We all will put ourselves out there to a group of wonderful people who I know will encourage each of us to keep going!! I look forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone and I can't wait to see future posts! Way to go, Little Bit! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!! I love it (not writing, of course, if you read my first blog post), but I'm excited to get to know you more through this challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "God created me to be unique. He made me smart enough, talented enough, pretty enough, and good enough to accomplish whatever it is He has planned for me."

    My favorite line! So beautifully put, sweet lady! So glad you're joining us this year and can't wait to read your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your post, Caitlin. You are fearfully and wonderfully made!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love the quote from Roosevelt. It's important to embrace our diversity. Very powerful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can completely relate to the fear of not being "enough." Thanks for the much needed reminder that I am enough!

    ReplyDelete