Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Spring Break

In a little over 84 hours, I will be in Arizona. I'm trying really hard not to wish away the next few days, but it's hard when what lies ahead is so exciting.

Emily and I have been friends since our parents put us in the nursery at church. Our friendship grew as our grandmas, who babysat us, took us to Ladies Quilting Club every Tuesday, also at church. (One day we hope to follow in our grandmas footsteps and form our own Quilting Club). We were the only two kids there, so we had free reign of the entire building while the women quilted. In Sunday School, we were usually the only two our age, so we were double trouble. In Christmas plays, we were ALWAYS cast as the sheep or angels. Also known as, "you two aren't quite old enough for starring roles and can't sing to save your life, but you're cute so we'll put you on stage as part of the background 'choir.'" Needless to say, we made fond memories out of our short-lived acting careers.

Notice, we are slightly taller than the rest of the angels...
But we're the only ones in ALL white!

Unfortunately, Emily is a few months younger than me, which meant when we started school we were in different grades. That never came between us though. Outside of school, if you saw one of us, you saw the other. She hands-down has the record for most sleepovers at my house. During summers, we practically had two houses and four parents, because you never knew which house or which parents would have us. We spent countless hours together, usually laughing.

In high school, we became almost inseparable even at school. We were in Band, Ag. (FFA), Cheerleading, and gymnastics together, plus, all of our youth group activities. I could write a novel about all of our shenanigans from those times, but I'll spare you. To make a long story, slightly shorter, I graduated high school and came to Joplin. She graduated a year later and went to Lincoln, IL. Emily met a boy, Bart. Emily married Bart. Emily moved even farther away with the boy to Rhode Island. The last two years during Spring Break, I visited them in Rhode Island. Then last summer Emily and Bart moved to Arizona.

Spring Break in Rhode Island last year.

Which brings us to being in Arizona in a little over 84 hours. However, to add to the excitement, while I'm there Emily and Bart will be welcoming their first baby! Spring Break perfectly fell so I get to be in Arizona for the birth of my niece. In the next week, I will become "Aunt" Caitlin for the first time! Containing my excitement is becoming harder with each day that passes, but I shall try to continue not wishing next 84 hours away.

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! I remember being there when my first "niece" was born! It's such a fun time! Enjoy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels and LOTS of baby snuggles....I know you love them!

    ReplyDelete