Saturday, March 4, 2017

Beginners Luck, Board Games, and Best Friends

Every once in awhile, I have a small group of friends that get together for game night. However, we are all a bit stuck in our ways and like routine, so we always play the same board game, Rail Baron.

As far as I know, it is not a commonly played game anymore. I'm not even sure what game to compare Rail Baron to, maybe, kind of, a cross between Monopoly and Risk, at the very least, the time it takes to play is comparable. You have to travel all over the continental United States on railroads, you purchase railroads, and you pay taxes when you are forced to take a railroad owned by another player. Basically, it is a game of strategy.



Unfortunately, it’s hard to even find the game. Rail Baron is no longer sold in stores, they stopped producing the game in the early 1980's, and to buy it on Amazon or Ebay can range anywhere from $60 to $275. Somehow, or because he knew it was worth the money, (and it brings back memories of an internship he did in Eastern Europe), Jory managed to get his hands on the game. From there, he introduced his wife, Brianna, to it. They started talking about it so much, finally, they let me join in the fun, too. To my astonishment and sense of satisfaction, I won my first game, although maybe it was just beginners luck.


Documentation of my first game win!
Sometimes, Ragnar eats our money.

Needless to say, it has become a frequented pastime amongst our group. We quickly recruited Jory's brother, Kurry, because the game is better with more than 3 players. Occasionally, we allow others to come join us, but we are a little particular, and don't let just anybody in. The four of us are competitive, and some of us (ahem, Jory!) are arrogantly confident in our strategy. Our banter throughout the game often consists of picking on each other (as best friends should), and we are ruthless when it comes to getting what we want. Joining in our gang is not for the weak at heart or easily offended.

Last night, we let a new member join our group. I think she might become a regular, seeing as she joined my club of "First Time Winners." It was the perfect ending to a crazy week of school: friendly banter between best friends and a board game. Last night, was a Rail Baron kind of night.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great game. I recently learned to play Settlers of Catan. It is a primitive monopoly, but one game can easily take just an hour from start to finish, so it is fun to play several rounds in one sitting. It is only a 4 person game, which is kind of nice too. We are having a game night tonight, maybe I can use that as a post. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family loves our game nights! And it must be a secret cat law that if it can be played with it must be! We can be ruthless too! I remember once telling my brother that I hoped all his future bacon burned. Go big or go home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun....of course, the Crouch family has never had a game night. Anyone that knows us knows that GAME NIGHT would end up with fists flying! lol

    ReplyDelete