Sunday, March 19, 2017

A Sleuth of Cubbies

Yesterday evening I began my journey to Arizona for Spring Break. After my parents dropped me off in the St. Louis airport, I successfully made my way through security. I still had well over an hour until my flight would board, so I found my way to Starbucks. To my delight, the kind male behind the counter gave me my drink for FREE, because I was his last customer of the night. I walked to my terminal smiling from ear-to-ear over his simple, yet generous gesture. My highly anticipated trip was already off to a great start!

As I sat in the terminal reading and enjoying my free coffee, I observed more and more Chicago Cubs fans. Didn't they know this is St. Louis? I get seeing one, or two, Cubbies here and there, but a sleuth of them in a confined space, no thank you! Then it dawned on me, Cubs Spring Training is in Arizona. Bleh. I was going to be on a flight surrounded by these so-called baseball fans. At the moment, I was more so wishing I had worn one of my bajillion St. Louis Cardinals shirts or my ball cap, but I hadn't. So there I sat, still enjoying my coffee, trying to focus on my book instead of the insults swirling around in my head.

When it finally came time to board the plane, I walked the length of the narrow aisle to the 2nd to last row. I'm always curious as to who I'll be sitting by. I had "picked" my seat that morning when I checked in online. I opted for the free middle seat in the back of the plane, because all the other available seats cost more money. I got myself cozy and tucked my belongings under the seat in front of me to make room for people who'd soon be sitting on either side of me. I waited. And waited. Until, to my surprise, no one sat down and the plane took off. I was elated! I looked around, the flight was indeed full, all rows packed, but I had found the one row in which no one else was sitting. I could stretch out my legs if they felt cramped. I could move a muscle without fear of bumping elbows with a complete stranger. Most importantly, I didn't have to make small talk with the horrendous Cubs fans, while attempting to convert them to God's team.

My flight was blissful. I found joy in the little blessings of free coffee and a spacious plane ride. Now, I'm writing from Arizona, where I sit in my friends' apartment, ignoring their wooden CUBS decor to my right and World Series Champions ball cap to my left, while praying to no avail for their salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment