Thursday, March 2, 2017

No More Staring Out the Window

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~Rogers Hornsby

To some people, this quote means absolutely nothing. To others, the diehard baseball fans, it means a long winter is ahead, as they anxiously await the return of baseball. I fall under the latter category of people, but to me, it also means a little bit more.

For the past several years, my daddy has texted me this quote the day after the St. Louis Cardinals end their baseball season. First, you must know, my family tends to be pretty optimistic, even when life throws us curve balls, we are "the glass is half full" kind of people. So, even when baseball season ends sooner than we would hope, my dad follows up Mr. Hornsby's quote by texting me a thank you to the Cardinals for another great year of entertaining our family.

Then, throughout the winter, when my dad texts me goodnight, we follow with a countdown. No, not until Opening Day, but a countdown to when pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training. Months. Weeks. Days. Hours. Lucky for us, we know our countdown isn't entirely accurate, because Yadier Molina will be sure to show up days ahead of schedule. But to be fair, we countdown to the actual report day. Eventually, our countdown changes to Opening Day (currently: 32 days, 12 hours, 59 minutes), but I won't get ahead of myself!

Right now, I am perfectly content. Pitchers and catchers reported 16 days ago. Spring Training games are well underway. My Cardinals are back in their red jerseys with the Birds on the Bat plastered across the front. The long, cold, baseball-free season of life has come to an end.

Finally, my daddy and I are no longer staring out the window and waiting for spring. Spring. Is. Here.


2 comments: