Friday, March 24, 2017

The Inevitable Goodbye

Over the past 8 years I've gotten used to saying goodbye. I know at the end of a week, no matter where we are, eventually I'm going to have to tell Emily see ya later. The first few years, I'd get teary eyed and occasionally let the tears fall. It finally became the norm and I was able to contain my tears, knowing that even though time passes between our visits, we always pick up right where we left off. We've both put so much stock into our friendship that now I fully trust her. 

Today though. Whew! Watching Emily become a mom... it's something I'm still not able to put into words. Surreal... Beautiful... None seem to do it justice. So saying goodbye is like it used to be, leaving me teary eyed and hoping they won't make it to my cheeks. Add into that Bart becoming a dad, which is absolutely precious, but even more so, watching him take care of my dear friend. Seeing a man care for his wife is sweet enough, but watching him as he tends to the aid of the mother of his child is yet again something I can't put into words. I believe it's a beautiful image of Christ and how He cares for each one of us. It's also another reminder for me that true gentleman still exist in the World. 

Unfortunately, today I did have to say see ya later to my friends. Ainsley made her first stops out of the hospital at Chick-fil-a and then the airport before going home. Now I'm left, feeling like it's 8 years ago attempting to hold myself together. This time I'm on a plane, once again fully surrounded by Cubs fans, and trying not to let the tears fall in front of complete strangers. Thankfully, Emily also taught me growing up not to care what other people think, so I'll go with that now. My heart, while a little sad, is also completely full of joy and love and baby Ainsley snuggles. And on the plus side, the Cubs fans sitting next to me seem to be as polite as Cubbies fans could possibly be. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment