Saturday, March 11, 2017

Something Special

When I was in 7th grade, my Papa passed away. Months later for my Birthday, my Granny gave me $50, the $50 bill left in my Papa's wallet after he died. Being the sentimental person that I am (even as a 13 year old!), I saved it. I wanted to spend it on something special. Several years later, my Granny passed away on my 21st Birthday. My mom knew Granny intended to give me $50 for my Birthday, so she found the blank card Granny was going to give me and wrote a check "from Granny." Again, being sentimental, I put the check in savings with the $50 from my Papa, and I waited until I found the something special to spend it on.

The summer after my 21st Birthday, I spent 5 1/2 weeks teaching English in Hong Kong. I had wanted to go on an overseas mission trip since 2009 when I graduated high school, but the thought also terrified me. What if I wasn't good enough? Could I really be that bold? Would I be helpful to the people I would be serving? How could I spend that long away from family and friends? Who and where is the money going to come from? All of these questions, and fears, were bottled up in my mind. For a long time, they kept me from going anywhere.

Finally, in 2013 my friends convinced me to just go. They knew I wanted to and that I had found an organization that suited the talents the Father had given me. They also knew the only thing holding me back was myself, and the lies from Satan I was allowing myself to believe, so they forced me to apply.

ELIC is an organization that has been teaching English in China since 1981, but have now expanded to teaching English all across Asia and the Middle East. They have formed relationships with the governments of each country, so while their primary job is to teach English, the government also knows they are sending Believers. ELIC combined two of my biggest passions in life: spreading the Good News and teaching. It was hard to ignore this opportunity, and I think the Lord knew He'd have to hit me with a ton of bricks with an opportunity I couldn't resist, in order for me to finally go.

After applying and being accepted, I had to pay a deposit in order to lock in my spot. The deposit was $100. While small in comparison to the rest of the trip, again it seemed as though I was being hit with another ton of bricks. Whether or not this was a sign from Above to confirm that I was supposed to be going to Hong Kong, I took it as one. I had been waiting 8 years and 5 months, in search of something special to spend my Granny and Papa's $100 gift. If they had still been here, even though the idea of their youngest granddaughter going overseas would have scared them, I knew they would have supported me in anyway they could. So with the $100 from so long ago, my Granny and Papa did support my dreams, and I finally found my something special to spend it on.

A throwback to 1991 with my Granny and Papa.

1 comment:

  1. Caitlin, I love this tribute to your grandparents!! I know they would be proud and happy to support your goal to go overseas. They would have been worried, but so proud. Probably spreading the word that THEIR granddaughter was in Hong Kong! I love how you melded the two stories into one inspiration!

    ReplyDelete