Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Baseball Cards

This week Mrs. Crouch had her students make cards for our high school baseball team. She wanted to give them some encouragement before their first game today. Somehow, she forgot to include the freshman roster, even though her own son is on the freshman team! I eagerly volunteered my Cardinal Time students to make cards for the freshman.

While she got the list of names ready to give to me, I asked if I could make the card Coop, her son, would be getting. (Not that I needed to ask, it was more of a formality!). As she started reading names to me, she said, "Oh! DuPree is on the team!" I quickly snatched his name for myself as well. She kept reading off names and once again said, "Oh! Kolton is one of them, too!" And again, I grabbed his name, too. My card list went from 1 to 3 as my students' list shrunk to 11.

The freshman class are my "babies." Although I am way too young to be their mom, I feel like an overly proud and protective mother over them. They were my first group of kids. Oh, how I miss them. We were in Pod 4 all by ourselves at the time. If I needed anything, I didn't have another teacher to run across the pod to, I'd have to go to Pod 3. Luckily, my first homeroom was a great group of kids. I'm not sure how much I taught them as far as writing that year, but we learned a lot together. Each one of them will always hold a special place in my heart.

Coop was actually in Mrs. Cox's homeroom. However, he is Mrs. Crouch's son, so I see him often. He's turning into an impressive young man.

Kolton is a St. Louis Cardinals fan. We bonded quickly over that common interest. Each day we would talk about how the Cardinals played the night before.

Pree is the first student who ever called me mom. I also still have my desk calendar page where he wrote "My Favorite Student's Birthday." So I usually refer to him as my favorite student.

I really didn't/don't have the time this week to make baseball cards. Oh but those kids have my heart. They will always be my babies and for them I will always make the time to let them know their 6th grade teacher still cares about them and loves them like they were my own.



3 comments:

  1. First of all, I love your passion and love for kids! and baseball. lol. I had no idea you could look younger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it crazy how much they grow up from 6th-9th grade!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see these baseball cards! What an awesome idea! You always go out of your way for your babies and I love that about you..."Mom"!

    ReplyDelete