Sunday, March 3, 2019

Battery Mates

When choosing Cardinals games to go to for the season, we have no way of knowing if it will be exciting or dull. Some games are "duds" and just a fun outing with the family watching our favorite boys of summer. Other times, we luck out and see incredible "one for the record books" type of games. Regardless, we always come away with a new bobblehead for our collections.

For the past 6ish seasons, my family has typically chosen Cardinals games we attend based off of bobblehead promotional days. On September 16, 2018 the St. Louis Cardinals were celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Mark McGwire's historic season with a bobblehead giveaway. I knew this game would be memorable simply due to the celebration of Mark McGwire and sentimental because he is my earliest memories of the Cardinals.

Thanks to a dear college roommate (Kim Hurley), her dad (a Yankees fan), and her grandma (a Cardinals fan with a great sense of humor), in college I had become the owner of a vintage Mark McGwire home run record t-shirt. It's oversized, so I usually stick to wearing it as a night shirt, but that day I wore it to Busch Stadium with pride.

Besides getting a win, that game ranks up with one of my favorites I've seen in person.

First, I was there with my one year old nephew. Not that he'll ever cognitively remember that game, but one day I'll show him pictures. It was special getting to share in a celebration of my earliest Cards memory to create some of my nephew's first Cardinals memories.

The second reason still gives me chills. Adam Wainwright had been on the Disabled List most of the season. This game was his return to Busch. Earlier that week when we got confirmation that Wainwright would be the starter, we knew we were in for some magic.

It's normal for the starting pitcher and the catcher to run in from the bullpen together to start the game. Usually no one pays attention. But this game. This game was different. Longtime (and franchise record holding) starting battery mates, Yadier Molina and Adam Wainwright, were starting together once again. Every Cardinal fan at Busch knew this was a moment to stop and take notice, because Waino's contract was up at the end of the season and at his "old" age it could easily be his final start with Yadi at Busch Stadium.

When the two ran in from the bullpen it was as though time stood still for a moment. I remember looking out to the field seeing them step foot out of the bullpen, then looking over at my dad and nudging him. No words were spoken. No words were needed. We, along with the 45,000+ crowd at Busch Stadium, rose to our feet and applauded. The visiting LA Dodgers fans were probably confused as to why Cardinal Nation was giving a standing ovation for such an ordinary event.

I love the thrill and anticipation going to a game brings. You never know what you're going to get out of it. But sometimes you get more than you paid for and you witness magical moments. Moments that send chills down your spine for years to come. Historical moments that will never be in the record books, but create memories that can never be replicated.

1 comment: