Thursday, March 14, 2019

Space Jam

Music makes me smile. Music makes me laugh. Music makes me dance. Music makes me cry. Music makes me sing (in the shower).

Music inspires people. Music moves people. Music helps people pour out emotions.

Music gives me a beat and motivates me to run. Music takes me back in time. Music brings back memories. Sometimes they're happy, sometimes they're sad, and sometimes they're victorious.

The following songs are listed in chronological order by the memories they bring back. Some happy, some pointless, some sad, but all of them remind me how far I've come as a human. A few would make my list of favorite songs, but certainly not all!

  1. Fast Cars and Freedom by Rascal Flatts
    When I was in 8th grade, this song got me listening to country music again. It's also why Rascal Flatts will always be my favorite country group.
  2. Would You Go With Me by Josh Turner
    This song sealed the deal on my love for Josh Turner. Maybe one day it will play at my wedding.
  3. Should've Said No by Taylor Swift
    After getting my driver's license, this was the song playing on my first solo drive. My parents told me not to mess with the radio, so I put my T. Swift CD in and moved it to a track that had several in a row I liked to get me to my destination.
  4. Complicated by Avril Lavigne
    After YEARS of trying, this song was playing when I successfully did an aerial cartwheel for the first time.
  5. Summer Nights by Rascal Flatts
    One day during high school my Ag. Advisors sent me and a friend on an ice cream run during class. We listened to this song on repeat on our entire 30 minute trip.
  6. Story of Us by Taylor Swift
    I ran many a mile to this song when a boy shattered me. I could relate to every lyric. It helped me get out frustration. I think I relate to T. Swift on many levels.
  7. Open Skies by David Crowder Band
    After losing a young child at my home church one difficult winter, this song gave me hope. Spring came early that year and I blared this song with the windows down.
  8. I Wonder by Leeland
    When my Granny passed away on my 21st birthday, I was in a wedding 300 miles away from my family. After the wedding, I sat outside my friend's house, talking to my best friend on the phone past midnight with this song on repeat in the background.
  9. Oh My Dear by Tenth Avenue North
    This song reminded me of God's grace when I needed it most as I cried into a boy's arms.
  10. Space Jam by Audio Push, Lil Wayne
    My friend, Brianna, made sure I played this while getting ready my first morning of student teaching. She knew I needed to get out of my own head and loosen up. (The jump from 9 to 10 also made me laugh.)
  11. Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran
    A personal victory. I can now listen to this song without skipping it on a playlist. Not chronological, but I also got to see Ed Sheeran in concert at Busch Stadium with my sister.
  12. I Will Be Undignified by Rend Collective
    The entire Good News album takes me back to Spring Break last year. I bought it after hearing Rend Collective in concert with Emily. We went to a lot of Christian music festivals in high school and it made me feel like we were kids again.
  13. Girls Like You by Maroon 5
    The current beat and song that motivates me to go outside and run.
What songs take you back in time?

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I could listen to your playlist(s) without skipping any songs!! As for Rascal Flatts, just a little tidbit, the main vocalist, Gary LeVox, is an avid hunter. My nephew works for Drury Brothers Outdoors in Iowa and videos many of their hunts. They are on the Outdoor Channel. Gary loved the video work that Wade did so much he asked him to come to Tulsa during their next concert and do all the videoing. Talk about awesome! He has recently been to Nashville working with Dustin Lynch on setting up acreages for guided hunts. Keep singing and loving music, it soothes the soul.

    ReplyDelete