Saturday, March 16, 2019

Ol' Gray

IT'S SPRING BREAK! While you are reading today's post, I will be a few thousand feet in the air heading to Boise, Idaho. As promised yesterday, here's #6 on the list of things my friend thought people should know about me.

6. The cars I've driven.

In high school, my "first" car was my dad's 1987 gray and rusty, Dodge Ram complete with a hay spike on the back. It was his farm truck. I absolutely loved The Tank, as my friends called him, and I was well known for driving it. I didn't love it when he didn't start and made me late. There were many prayers said in Ol' Gray.



When I went off to college, I was lucky. My Gramy was buying a new car and wasn't going to get enough to make trading in her car worth it. She gifted me her 2000 Dodge Intrepid. It was 9 years old and had almost 100,000 miles. Like most Intrepids I have seen, it was gold, a kind of ugly gold. But it was a free gold car, so I had zero complaints! It took me several thousand miles over the years and a lot of fun memories were made in it.


My intrepid lasted me until I got my first teaching job. I normally wouldn't remember the date I purchase a car, but it just so happened to be July 4th when I bought my 2013 Ford C-Max. My dad took me to Jefferson City just to look. While we were looking, he had me test drive a C-Max. It was the same kind of car he had for work, he knew they got great gas mileage, so he thought I should give it a try. I must admit, it wasn't at all what I had my eye on. However, it was a great price, less than 2 years old, under 30,000 miles, and it gets 40-50 mpg. So for a first car that I was buying, I went for it. Now it's fun confusing people, because they can never tell when it is started.

If I had my pick, I'd still be driving Ol' Gray. I highly doubt he would make it to Webb City, even if he did, I'd probably be calling friends for rides frequently. He's had a lot of TLC over the years and now must stay close to home.

What is your favorite car you've owned?

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I've had many cars I fiercely disliked, but to come up with just one to name as my favorite is probably going to have to be the 1995 Mercury Sable!! I know this may sound really crazy compared to my current Impala, but I feel like I can't count my new car as my favorite. The old Sable who was named Mrs. McElwain was equipped with all the bells and whistles. From electric start to in-steering radio volume! I think I need to write about my vehicles over the years as well!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started off with a 1985 gold Dodge Omni. It was small and ugly!

    ReplyDelete