Wednesday, March 27, 2019

One for the Record Books

Over the last 5 years, I have watched a one-hit, shutout by ace Adam Wainwright, Matt Holiday's final at bat as a Cardinal resulting in a pinch-hit single to help win the game, an 18 inning game end in a loss, a benches clearing brawl because an opposing manager used poor word choices toward Yadier Molina, a grand slam in the 1st inning by Marcell Ozuna, a no hitter carried into the 8th inning by Michael Wacha, a walk-off homer by José Martínez, and the coldest start of a game in Busch Stadium history.

Like I've said, when you buy tickets to a game, you never know what you're going to get. Of course, they were mostly bobblehead games, so we knew we would walk away with a new bobblehead. That's how we ended up at the coldest game in Busch history.

It was Opening Weekend 2018; the Cardinals were giving away a Mystery Hall of Fame Opening Day Car Parade Bobblehead. I've attended Opening Weekend one other time during high school and I knew one thing, it is very possible the game will be very cold. We knew it was supposed to be cold, so at least we were prepared for it!

Bundled in fleece-lined leggings, jeans, doubled up socks, a long and short sleeve shirt, a hoodie, my Carhartt coat, fleece gloves, a Cardinals stocking, a 9 month old nephew, and 2 fleece blankets, one would think I would have been nice and toasty but not in temperatures below freezing, sitting 5 stories high with the wind blowing in my face.

Oh, but my family loves our boys in red, so we thoroughly enjoyed freezing our tails off. My parents, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew actually left a couple innings early. Lucky for me I had gone to the game with my friends equally devoted friends, Bri and Jory, so my family leaving meant I got to go to the new addition to Busch, the Budweiser Brew House Deck, to finish the game.


With faces resembling the color of the birds on the bat, we watched our Cardinals defeat the Diamondbacks 5-3. The sting was softened by the win and upon hearing we had attended a historic game. Although, I have to say I'm okay with leaving the coldest game in 2018. There's no need to rewrite that record in the books.





1 comment:

  1. we tried to go to a game in early April to see the royals last spring and it was miserable....we made it one inning....and we were out!

    ReplyDelete