Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Sticks and Stones

Labels. They produce stereotypes.

4 year Varsity Cheerleader
NHSCC Small Squad National Competitor
Not pretty enough

Labels. They show hobbies and talents.

Flute Squad Leader
2nd Chair
State I rating Flute Quartet
Not talented enough

Labels. They showcase a person's accolades.

FFA Chapter Vice President
American Degree Recipient
3rd Place National and State Champion Parliamentary Procedure Team
District Champion - FFA Knowledge, Meat Judging, and Ag. Sales
Not good enough

Labels. They prove academic excellence.

Salutatorian
2 out of 154
National Honor Society
Not smart enough

Labels. They look good on resumes.

Labels. They mask what's on the inside.

In high school, I suppose my "resume" made it appear as though I had it all. I was involved and excelled in numerous extra-curricular activities. I had a lot of friends, and because of my random assortment of extra-curriculars I had a lot of different friend groups. My teachers, for the most part, made me feel important and valued.

However, my main group of friends would say one thing to my face and something different when I wasn't around. Their actions toward me spoke louder than their manipulative words. I've blocked out a lot of the specifics, but I don't think I'll ever be able to block out the way they made me feel.

Outsider. Worthless. Never enough. Unnoticed. Unloved. Unwanted. Too quiet.

But that was 10 years ago. (WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE?!) And time supposedly heals all wounds. With those wounds comes scars. While the scars will always be there, the little girl who once let others squelch her personality has become a woman who found her self-worth.

So to those girls in high school, thank you. I will never know what made you treat me the way you did, but thank you. Your sticks and stones once broke me. Your words, they did in fact hurt me. But thank you. You made me strong. You made me brave. Eventually, you taught me not to let others define me. You motivated me to prove others wrong when they say I can't. You taught me to forgive. You made me a better teacher.

Labels. They hide what other's words or actions have led you to believe about yourself.

Labels. They don't have to define you.

4 comments:

  1. What a great message. Thank you for sharing! I often think about the people in high school that treated me badly and I know I am much better off than they are now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing person. Our students are lucky to have you as their teacher. As I read your blog it made me think of the story You Are Special by Max Lucado. It teaches a lesson about how the labels placed on you by others only matter if you let it matter. It's a book I read to my classes every year regardless of age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read your blog I teared up because I just couldn't believe anyone has ever said hurtful or unkind things about you OR made you feel lesser of a person. The you I know today is a remarkable person and I'm so glad I get to call you a friend and a co-worker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caitlin, Thank you for sharing. I completely understand how the awards show how hard we work and how we aimed for the best, but when it comes down to it, high school and life are hard. People are not nice. However, you are completely correct about yourself--brave, strong, talented, teacher, friend, loyal, a child of God. What a way to turn it around. I am so thankful for you, and your students should read this one!

    ReplyDelete