Friday, March 29, 2019

Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend

The Sultan of Swat, the King of Crash, the Colossus of Clout, the Great Bambino! Ted "the Kid" Williams. Carlton "Pudge" Fisk. David "Big Papi" Ortiz. It's a surreal feeling knowing you are standing where some of baseball's greatest players have stood.

In the spirit of baseball, I must admit I enjoy visiting other team's ballparks. Of course I will always prefer Busch Stadium, but I like seeing what other stadiums are like and learning the history of other teams, especially the historic ones.

My first ballpark visit away from my beloved Busch was Kauffman Stadium. We went there a few different times growing up, because tickets to see the Cardinals play the Royals were cheaper in Kansas City. I've now been there a handful of times including last summer when I got to take my friend Kyla to her first Major League game. Don't worry, the Cardinals were in town!

Next up, when I was in 6th grade I got to be a tag-along on a mission trip with the high school youth group at my church to Arlington, Texas. My parents were going as sponsors, my sister was entering high school, and I got lucky! While our group was in town, we got to go what was then known as The Ballpark in Arlington.

Please note the shout-out to
St. Louis above "BLEACHERS"
Now approaching 2 summers ago, I went to Indianapolis with my friend Nellie. We had done everything we wanted to in Indy, and decided to take our adventure a little farther. (Had the Indianapolis Indians, Pittsburgh's Triple A team, been in town we probably would have stayed to watch them). Chicago was within a day's drive and I had never been before, so we set out for the day. My main request for our trip was to see Wrigley Field. I know what you're thinking! Caitlin wanted to go to Wrigley?! Yes, because while my hatred for the Cubs runs deep, I respect that they have not torn down Wrigley to build a nice, new ballpark.

Last summer, on the "babymoon" vacation with my friends Bri and Jory we visited Fenway Park in Boston. I had actually been here one other time on a Spring Break trip to Rhode Island, but with Bri and Jory we went on a tour of the park. We would have went to the Red Sox game that night, but that's an entirely different story!

I think out of all of the ballparks I have been to, not including Busch Stadium of course, Fenway Park is my favorite. I probably can't give Wrigley a ranking because I would never admit to putting Chicago number 1 on any list, and I have not actually been inside. In all honesty, Fenway and Boston's history of baseball would be hard to top. It was cool to think we were standing in spots that some of baseball's greatest players had once stood.

I regret not going to old (1923) Yankee Stadium when my family was in New York City in 2008. It was the last season the Yankees played ball there before they tore it down that winter. I also regret not going to Chase Field when I was in Phoenix a couple Spring Breaks ago, but I did go walk around a couple Spring Training locations!

One day soon, I look forward to crossing new baseball stadiums off of my list. Although, I think I have been to all of the decently named ballparks! My top choice would probably be PNC Park (Pittsburgh), plus it would add a new city to my list of adventures!

Day 2 of baseball. Time to fly, Cardinals!

No comments:

Post a Comment