Sunday, March 31, 2019

Mwangaza and Road Games

It. Is. Finished. Congratulations, my fellow slicers, we made it! Another year is under our belts. Boy, oh boy, am I ready to have a break from writing.

Actually, I'm ready for a break from school in general. Partially, because of my plans this summer. The easiest way to talk about my summer trip to Africa, without rambling too much, is to include a portion of my support letter.

Dear Friends and Family,

This summer, I have the incredible opportunity to travel to the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in Africa, from June 26th - July 9th. Similar to what I wrote in 2013 before traveling to Hong Kong, since graduating high school in 2009, I felt the nudge to serve overseas. The cool thing about this trip in particular, Tresor Yenyi, the founder of Mwangaza International, was my family group leader at Camp MoCoMi back in 2009 when I first felt that tug on my heart. My “home” church and camp have been supporting Mwangaza International for years, and now we have the chance to see the work in the Congo first-hand.  
Camp MoCoMi 2009
Over the past 10 years, I have had the privilege of being Tresor’s chauffeur to and from Joplin and Eldon on a number of occasions. Each time our trip concludes, I leave feeling uplifted by the stories of everything Mwangaza is accomplishing in the Congo. God has truly worked in mysterious ways: from getting the land for the original orphanage, shutting off power in Goma to put in the first water well, macro-loans given to Congolese men and women for start-up businesses, and in one city the deaths by Cholera decreasing 100% after the placement of the first water purification system. 

While in the DRC, my team will be continuing work on Mwangaza’s orphanages (teaching kids, painting buildings, etc.), installing more water purification systems, and working at HOPE centers (where locals go for meals and to learn trades to help build a life for their family).

This trip has been 10 years in the making and I could not be more excited! There are 2 things I'm a little nervous about though. First, I will be missing 9 Cardinals games. Oh, the horror! However, proving God really is a Cardinals fan, the entire time we are gone, the Cardinals are playing on the road. That helps lighten the burn. Secondly, my nephew will probably be born while I am gone. To lighten that sting, he will be born in Idaho, so I would not have been there anyway. My trip is already providing a needed reminder that God's Kingdom is more important than earthly things...

Until next year, slicers. Here's to 12 in 19!

No comments:

Post a Comment