Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Sunday I Fangirled

Sunday I went to Norman, Oklahoma. That sounds kind of boring.

Sunday I got to watch OU compete against UCLA in women's gymnastics. That still doesn't do it justice.

Sunday I was in the same room with 3 Olympic Gold Medalists. Eh. That's better.

OU has Maggie Nichols and Brenna Dowell. Both were elite level gymnasts and were on the 2015 Gold Medal World Championship team. Maggie was one of many athletes to step forward in the Larry Nassar trial. At Worlds in 2015 she got Bronze on the floor.

UCLA has Kyla Ross, Madison Kocian, Katelyn Ohashi, and Jordyn Wieber. Kyla Ross was on the 2012 Gold Medal Olympic team in London. She also has 5 World Championship medals. Madison Kocian was on the 2016 Gold Medal Olympic team in Rio, as well as won an individual Silver on bars and has 3 World Championship Golds. Katelyn Ohashi won the All-Around Gold at the 2013 World Cup. (The last person to beat Simone Biles in an All-Around competition!) Her 2018 and 2019 collegiate floor routines have also gone viral. Jordyn Wieber is an assistant coach for UCLA, has 3 World Championship medals, and was on the 2012 Gold Medal Olympic team with Kyla Ross.

If you haven't figured it out by now, Sunday I fangirled. Hard. So many athletes I have watched compete on TV over the last several years were competing 4 hours away. Thankfully, Brittany, my good friend and co-worker, was up for an adventure with me. Even though our trek to Norman started in the snow, it didn't stop us. There was no way I would let a little snow get in my way!

When we got to the gymnastics meet, I did my very best to keep my composure, but on the inside my emotions were doing as many flips as the girls were in front of me. We arrived just in time to see Ross and Kocian on bars. Throughout the meet I sometimes made sound effects as girls were flipping, or falling off an apparatus, as though I was the one competing. (Old habits die hard!)

Honestly, I didn't care which team won. The whole experience was magical and a dream come true. I cheered for girls on both teams, whether they were the ones I was there to see or girls who had impressive performances. We got to witness 3 perfect 10's. Two by Kyla Ross on vault and bars. And one by the internet sensation, Katelyn Ohashi, on floor.

Sunday I was simply a fan of the sport.

Sunday I fangirled over being in the presence of gymnastics royalty.

Sunday I went to Norman, Oklahoma. That wasn't so boring.

4 comments:

  1. I would have been pumped too! What an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds SO fun!! I can totally relate to making sound effects while watching sports, I do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were you, yourself, a gymnast?

    Norman, Oklahoma is always a good time. I have had many a Sisters Weekend there.

    Your experience is epic!

    ReplyDelete